Saturday, November 6, 2010

On the Eats - Delicata Squash Soup

Okay, so today's post is more related to another side of my journey...eating! Living alone + the relentless grind of school/work="I don't feel like cooking!" So I'm continually looking for healthy options that are quick and not too labor-intensive.

This past weekend I purchased some of my favorite squash, delicata,
with the plans to just cook them and eat them. Tonight I decided I wanted some soup and the delicata sounded perfectly yummy! I looked at a few recipes online and then decided to just go it on my own. The results were delicious and it was really easy to make.

Delicata Squash Soup
serves 2

Ingredients:
1 delicata squash, cooked and flesh scooped out*
2 T butter
1/2 cup diced onion
1 T "Gourmet Garden Ginger Spice Blend"
1/4 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 c. chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
1/4 cup milk (can use cream if you want it thicker)
Dash of paprika

Directions:
1. Saute onion and ginger spice blend in butter until onions are translucent.
2. Put sauteed onion mixture and remaining ingredients (except for paprika) in a food processor and puree until smooth.

3. If soup has cooled, reheat on the stove or microwave.
4. Pour into bowls and sprinkle with paprika

*Use your favorite method to cook the squash. I cut the squash in half, scooped out the seeds, placed the two halves flesh-side down in a lidded casserole dish with a small amount of water in the bottom and bake at 350 degrees for 45 min.

1 comment: